Dec 2, 2011

Guilt

So, yes, I haven't posted in a while. This happens a lot in my life. For the first few days I'm like LETS GO LETS DO THIS SUPER AWESOME TIMES FOR EVERYONE and about a week later I avoid all of your text messages about our Bunny World Domination plan and never speak to you again. But I swear The 308 won't be like my previous relationships. Mostly because I live with Marie and her physical being is a constant reminder of my failure to follow through.

So hheeerrreeee IIIIII ammmmmmmm

Another habit I have is that I buy too many books. Powerwalking by the plastic, too-rickety-for-comfort tables full of books on 4th St., I can never resist pausing for a moment (or at least reading the covers as I keep powerwalking). I have two 3-foot long bookshelves at my NYU-provided desk (which is decent if a bit cramped). One is full of my CDs (to sell, I'm not that narcissistic) and tea, the other full of books I haven't read. The books I have read are few and are under my bed (I really can't give you an answer to why). It's a habit I always remember having. I just buy books. I can even research which books to buy through reviews and wikipedia and awards and I'll buy them but rarely do I actually read them. Actually, when I'm looking for something to keep me warm and intelligent all through the night I often just buy another book and read it instead of going back to the BOOKSHELF OF GUILT.

I like to think I buy books to give myself some semblance of intelligence. "Look at all the books I intend to read. I'm so wanna-be-intellectual." But does that count? If you want to get knowledge, by buying books or signing up for classes, does that show the same perseverance as someone who follows through on a few of them?

I'm just wondering, if I get 10 books that I don't read but I know the basics about and one day want to read, does that equal actually reading one book?

I really hope so.
____________________________________________________________

Before watching Treme, the only jazz I truly enjoyed was Charles Mingus. And only Black Saint and Sinner Lady. And really only Track A and Track B. But if I could only listen to a few songs for the rest of my life, those songs would be on the list.

I am tempted to go on a paragraph-long spiel that details the amazing journey of these songs, but I realize that 1) I sound like a douche and 2) it wouldn't do justice to the songs.

Instead, just buy the CD and listen to it, you heathens.

-Christina

p.s. If anyone knows anything about turntables, can you comment some advice? Marie and I are looking to buy one. Our budget is about $50 to $75 total. :D

1 comment: